Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Cold Udon Salad: Back To School Vegan Lunchbox




Oh yes, people-it's that time of year again.  As much as I don't want to believe it, it is time to prepare for back-to-school which means packing those healthy lunchboxes.  As much as my boys drive me crazy a lot of the time I've absolutely loved having so much (free) time with them all summer.  I'm sad they're headed back to school and will miss them so much.  They're my lil' buddies and I love hanging out with them.  Plus, they keep my youngest Veggie Kid company.  He'll be super sad his brothers are off to school.  One more year 'til that guy is in kindergarten-yikes!  I'm sure I'll cry when that time comes.  

So as much as I've tried to put it off, it is time to prepare.  I've been putting together a grocery list and menu for my kids' upcoming lunches and quick dinner ideas to make this transition go smoother.  

This Cold Udon Salad is best served cold making it perfect packing material for a lunchbox!  Kids love slurping up noodles, plus this is a great way to add different veggies into those lunches.  



O  L  I  V  E  S


I love packing olives in my kids' lunch boxes too!  Such an easy and healthy finger food perfect for toting on-the-go.  And now that Pearls has created this amazing new product, Olives To Go, it makes it that much easier. Find them in a store near you or check them out on Facebook!





Cold Udon Salad
makes 4 servings

Ingredients:
1 lb. udon noodles
1/2 C. thinly cut green onions (use kitchen scissors)
1/2 C. shredded carrots
1/2 C. cubed cucumbers (1/2" thick)
1-2 Tb. white sesame seeds
1/4 C. agave nectar
1/4 C. tamari (or soy sauce)

Directions:
1.  Cook noodles according to package directions.  While the noodles are cooking, whisk together agave and tamari in a small bowl.
2.  Strain noodles and place in a large bowl.  Pour the agave mixture over the noodles, tossing gently.  3.  Add in the green onions, carrots, cucumbers and sesame seeds.  Mix well.  Store covered in the 'fridge.  Serve chilled.


It's not just for kids!  This noodle dish is perfect for adults too.  


V E G A N   B A C K   T O   S C H O O L   
L U N C H B O X


Please vote for "The Boy Who Loved Broccoli" to get onto the shelves of Walmart by voting every day until Sept. 2nd!  I would love to spread the veggie love to the customers of Walmart!!



STAY CONNECTED!
Follow Veggie Kids on Instagram,


No comments:

Post a Comment