It's hard to think of using mayonnaise and dessert in the same sentence but trust me when I tell you that mayo adds just the right amount of moisture! For my birthday last year I made myself (yes, that's right) this Vintage Chocolate Mayo Cake With Caramel Drizzle.
These Chewy Citrus Caramel Bars are chewy and tangy sweet with a crunchy caramel top. I used pastry flour but all-purpose would work fine too!
Chewy Citrus Caramel Bars
makes 12 servings
1/2 lb. Earth Balance butter
1/2 C. sugar
2 C. pastry flour
1/8 tsp. sea salt
1/2 C. vegan mayonnaise
2 1/2 C. sugar
1/2 C. fresh squeezed lemon juice
1/2 C. fresh squeezed orange juice
1 1/2 Tb. lemon zest
1 C. pastry flour
confectioner's sugar (for dusting)
1. Preheat the oven to 350F.
2. TO MAKE THE CRUST: In a large mixing bowl, use electric beaters to cream together the butter and sugar.
3. Add in the flour and salt, mixing until combined but lumpy.
4. Prepare a 9" x 13" baking pan by spraying it with non-stick spray or lining it with parchment paper. Transfer the crust dough to the pan, flattening it out evenly using your hands and fingers. Pack it firmly creating an even 1/2" crust along the entire bottom of the pan.
5. Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until lightly browned. Cool on wire rack and leave the oven on.
6. TO MAKE THE FILLING: In a medium mixing bowl, stir or whisk together the mayonnaise, sugar, lemon and orange juices, lemon zest and flour until completely smooth.
7. Pour the liquid filling over the crust and bake for about 30 minutes or until top is bubbly and brown.
8. Remove from oven and cool completely. Dust with confectioner's sugar, cut into bars and serve.
I've been busy working on my cookbook which I have yet to reveal to you. Soon enough, peeps. I promise! Here's a sneak peek.
Be sure to Subscribe to the Veggie Kids Mailing List! You'll receive a newsletter filled with healthy eating tips, recipes and inspiration to help you and your family eat better.
I also still have some spots open for April if you want your product, business, service or blog to be featured on VK! Check out the details here.
Follow Veggie Kids on Instagram,