It's GIVEAWAY TIME!!!I haven't had a giveaway in quite some time and am so thrilled to be talking about this week's prize. "Meatless" is an amazing cookbook from the kitchens of Martha Stewart Living. It's filled with over 200 vegetarian (and many vegan) recipes! The book itself just feels lovely (printed with quality paper I'd assume!) in your hands and has beautiful full-page photographs.
"Meatless" is for vegans, vegetarians, flexitarians and anyone wanting to just eat healthier without the heavy meat. Meatless Mondays will become a lot more exciting now!
Get your hands on your very own copy of "Meatless" by entering below!
This is the first recipe I tried from "Meatless"; Mini Broccoli and Pasta Casseroles
I love that it uses whole wheat pasta! In place of the ricotta cheese I used tofu and in place of the Parmigiano-Reggiano I used vegan shredded mozzarella. And of course non-dairy milk in place of skim milk. It turned out great! I even brought some to a friend who just had a baby...perfect comfort meal for the whole family.
Mini Broccoli and Pasta Casseroles
Comfort food, reconsidered: less pasta, a lighter sauce, more broccoli (even the stems are included), and whole-wheat bread crumbs add up to a much more wholesome dish.
2 slices whole-wheat sandwich bread
1 head broccoli (about 1 pound), cut into florets, stems peeled and cut into ½-inch pieces
Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
8 ounces whole-wheat fusilli pasta
1 tablespoon plus
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
3 tablespoons plus
1 ½ teaspoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground mustard
4 cups skim milk
1/4 cup part-skim ricotta cheese, pureed in a food processor
4 ounces finely grated
Parmigiano-Reggiano (1 cup)
1. Preheat oven to 425°F. Pulse bread in a food processor until fine crumbs form. Transfer to a baking sheet and toast 8 minutes, tossing halfway through.
2. Cook broccoli in a large pot of boiling salted water until slightly tender, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a bowl using a slotted spoon. Add pasta to pot, and cook 2 to 3 minutes less than package instructions. Drain.
3. Wipe pot clean. Add olive oil and heat over medium. Sauté onion, stirring, until translucent, about 7 minutes. Add flour and ground mustard. Cook, stirring, 1 minute. Whisk in milk in a slow, steady stream. Bring to a boil. Cook, whisking, until thickened, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Add cheeses and season with salt and pepper.
4. Stir broccoli and pasta into sauce. Divide mixture among six 1½-cup baking dishes; top with bread crumbs. Bake on a rimmed baking sheet until bubbling and tops are browned, 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool slightly before serving.
Per serving: 337 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 16 mg cholesterol, 49 g carbohydrates, 18 g protein, 6 g fiber
1. Tweet the following: "I want to win #Meatless from @MarthaStewart! @VeggieKidsBlog http://veggie-kids.blogspot.com/2013/01/meatless-martha-stewart-cookbook.html"
2. For additional entries, LIKE Veggie Kids on Facebook and tell me you did in the comments below.
The contest runs through Sunday, February 3rd at midnight PST. One lucky winner will be chosen at random and announced Monday, February 4th!
Want to be seen on Veggie Kids?
Advertise on Veggie Kids to be seen by thousands!
For the month of February I'm offering $5 OFF ad. space! Find out more details here.
It's a great way for your business, blog, website or product to gain exposure.
Follow me on Instagram (where I'm at daily!),