So this Classic Oatmeal Cookie recipe is "almost normal" except that I just had to sneak in a chickpea or two...or three. The chickpeas are completely optional but highly recommended!
Classic Oatmeal Cookie
makes 2 dozen cookies
2 egg replacers (either make a "flax egg" by mixing 1 Tb. ground flax seeds + 3 Tb. warm water per one egg or use EnerG egg replacer)
1 C. Earth Balance butter
2 C. sugar (I like coconut palm or beet sugar)
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1 C. all-purpose flour
1 C. whole wheat flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. sea salt
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
2 1/2 C. oats (I like old-fashioned)
optional: 1/2 C. canned chickpeas*, drained & rinsed
1. Preheat oven to 375F. Prepare a baking sheet by lining it with parchment paper or spraying with non-stick cooking spray.
2. In a small bowl, prepare your egg replacer by either mixing together ground flax seed and warm water or mixing together the EnerG egg replacer with warm water. Set aside to firm up.
3. In a medium bowl, cream together butter and sugar. Beat in the egg replacers and vanilla.
4. Stir in flours, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
5. Stir in the oats and chickpeas.
6. Use your hands to roll the dough into walnut sized balls and flatten slightly on the baking sheet, placing them 2" apart.
7. Bake for 8-10 minutes. Remove and let cool 2 minutes before transferring to a wire cooling rack.
*if you're worried the chickpeas will get discovered in the cookie, simple crush them up a bit with the back of a spoon before adding to the cookie dough mixture. I assure you...no one will know!
For other oatmeal cookie recipes:
Oatmeal Chocolate Drops (No Bake) (super easy since they're a no-bake dessert)
Oatmeal Cacao Chip Cookies (these are ultra healthy!)
Oatmeal Coconut Chocolate Chippers (these have a subtle coconut flavor, almost undectable)
Need more Veggie Kids?
Follow me on Instagram (where I'm at daily!),