Monday, December 31, 2012

Gluten-Free Black Bean Quinoa "Cheese" Burgers

Have you set some goals for 2013?  I'm not big into resolutions (which get broken within a month) so much as I like making goals (which I constantly tweak as I grow).  Hey, it's what works for me!

Resolution=the act of resolving upon an action, method or procedure. 
Goal=the achievement towards which effort (key word here!) is directed.

Some of my 2013 Goals? 

-Become healthier, leaner, fitter, stronger through diet & exercise

-Launch my new Veggie Kids site (Veggie-Kids.com), which will be a wonderful resource for vegan families 

-Finish at least one of my books I'm currently writing (a children's book and a cookbook)

-Help nurture my kids' daily to become the best people God meant for them to be

-Make more "date" time for my hubby (we both tend to get caught up in work/life)


I'm always trying to perfect the ever-loving "veggie burger" in my Veggie Kids' kitchen.  This latest burger recipe is my new favorite, as well as a fave of my oldest son.  He gobbled up three of these the first night I served them.  You may have tried my previous burger recipe, Great Grain Burgers, which is still a favorite of many-a-readers.  This newest creation is gluten-free and has a slightly "cheesy" flavor.  Both are yummy and an awesome replacement for a traditional beef or turkey burger (bleh!) or even a frozen, store-bought veggie burger.  Hope you enjoy!


Gluten-Free Black Bean Quinoa "Cheese" Burgers
makes 8 burgers

Ingredients:
  • ½ C. uncooked quinoa
  • 1 1/2 C. water
  • 1 tsp. canola or coconut oil
  • 1 C. finely chopped yellow or white onion (or 1 small onion)
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced (or 2 tsp. minced)
  • 1 (15 oz.) can or 1½ C. cooked black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 tsp. tamari (or soy sauce)
  • 2 tsp. steak seasoning
  • 1/4 C. roasted red bell peppers, roughly chopped
  • 3 Tb. nutritional yeast (gives the "cheesy" flavor!)
  • 1 tsp. sea salt
  • 1/4 C. gluten-free corn flour

  • 8 whole-grain hamburger buns (use gluten-free as needed)
Directions:
1. Place quinoa and 1½ cups water in small saucepan.  Bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 15-20 minutes, or until all the liquid is absorbed. 
2. Meanwhile, in a medium saute pan add oil over medium heat, cook onion for 3-4 minutes, then add in the garlic and beans. Stir in tamari or soy sauce, steak seasoning, and 1 tablespoon of water. Stir and simmer 4-5 minutes.
3.  Preheat oven to 350F.  Prepare a baking sheet by spraying with non-stick spray or lining with parchment paper.
4. Transfer bean-onion mixture to a food processor, add 1/2 of the cooked quinoa, roasted red bell peppers, nutritional yeast and salt.  Process until smooth. 
5.  Transfer the mixture to a medium bowl, stirring in the remaining 1/2 of the quinoa and the corn flour.   Add more corn flour as needed for consistency (you want to be able to form patties out of the mixture).
6. Use your hands to shape the quinoa/bean mixture into 8 patties. Place them onto the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes, then flip patties with spatula, and bake 10 minutes more, or until both sides are crispy.
To Serve: Lightly toast buns, spread with vegan mayo, mustard, ketchup and avocado.  Top with sliced pickles, arugula, and sliced tomatoes.  Slice in half and serve!



Wishing you all the best in 2013!  
This was us on Christmas morning.

Want to see more Veggie Kids?
  
Follow me on Instagram (my new obsession), TwitterPinterest and Facebook.

3 comments:

  1. I can't wait to try this new recipe. In the past I've made your Great Grain Burgers recipe and it is very good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This recipe looks and sounds yummy! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete