This is one of those dishes that is so flavorful it could easily fool a carnivore into thinking they're eating something that isn't derived from plants! Because it's an enchilada bake, the only hard work you'll be doing is layer all the ingredients together. Stick it in the oven and forget about it until it's baked and ready to serve! The Honey Almond Green Beans are a fun way to get your veggie power. Kids seem to be especially drawn to these beans thanks to the sweetness from the honey or agave used.
EASY BAKED ENCHILADAS
Makes 6-8 servings
1 Tb. Vegetable oil
½ C. green onions, chopped
1 package meatless crumbles*
1 15 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 15 oz. can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 4 oz. can diced green chilies (use more or less to your liking)
2 10 oz. cans enchilada sauce
2 1/2 C. fresh spinach
1 1/4 C. vegan shredded cheese (Daiya mozzarella or pepperjack)-optional
15 small corn tortillas
1. Preheat oven to 375F.
2. In a large sauté pan, heat vegetable oil over medium heat.
3. Add in onions, cooking for about 3 minutes.
4. Next, add meatless crumbles, black beans, pinto beans and chilies. Cook and stir for 3 additional minutes, slightly mashing the beans with the side of a spoon, then add ½ of the enchilada sauce.
5. Pour ½ cup of the remaining enchilada sauce on the bottom of a 9” x 13” baking pan smoothing out evenly with a spatula.
6. Lay 5 tortillas down flat on the bottom of the pan, splitting the last one in half so it fits. Spread 1/2 of the bean mixture from the sauté pan onto the tortillas evenly. Sprinkle 1/2 of the spinach on top, followed by 1/3 of the shredded cheese. Repeat the process a second time.
7. For the top (third) layer, lay the 5 tortillas down evenly, then pour remaining enchilada sauce on top. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
8. Cover loosely with foil and bake for 20 minutes.
9. Remove the foil and bake an additional 5-10 minutes or until the tortillas are a bit crispy on the edges. Serve with Honey Almond Green Beans (recipe below).
HONEY ALMOND GREEN BEANS
Makes 4 servings
2 Tb. Earth Balance butter, melted
1 Tb. Honey (or use agave nectar)
sea salt to taste
2 lbs. green beans
2 Tb. Sliced almonds (optional)
1. Steam frozen green beans until just tender.
2. Meanwhile, whisk together melted butter, honey and salt in a small bowl.