Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Vegan Food Pyramid & Feeding Your Kids


If you're like me, sometimes it's so confusing trying to figure out if you're feeding your kids and yourselves the right variety of foods from the proper food groups.  I've always found the task to be confusing but now that my kids and I are vegan, it can be a bit more challenging.  


I had my boys make a vegan food pyramid based on the one above which we keep on the 'fridge.  They love checking to see if they're eating from all the food groups.  I really like the vegan food pyramid above because of all the fruits & veggies, but there are actually several versions out there.

inari, veggie sushi, edamame & strawberries

I even investigated what our government said about nutrition for vegans and there wasn't much (look here).  One good thing, however, is that the USDA is now admitting that  "vegetarian-style eating patterns have been associated with improved health outcomes..." Times, they are-a-changing!

And don't get all anxious about trying to get the exact amounts from each food group, just strive for a nice variety over the week.  If your kids dislike beans, try hiding them in tacos.  If you can't stand the texture of tofu, try seitan.

I have found that there are more food choices since turning vegan because the plant-based options are endless!  Experiment and try new ingredients and recipes until you find one you love.


whole wheat pb/molasses cookies, raw nuts & seeds, fruit salad

I am constantly learning about all this "food" stuff.  There are some great documentaries that I highly recommend if you haven't seen them yet.  Get the whole family to sit down and watch if you can.

Here are some that I like:


And just like they say in yoga, strive for progress, not perfection.  Well put.

This article can also be seen on Technorati.com.

Don't forget to SUBSCRIBE to Veggie Kids!  
look for this on the right side of the VK home page

You can also connect 
with me on Twitter or Facebook too!


4 comments:

  1. I love this food pyramid. I have it hanging on our fridge. Since our family has gone vegan almost a year ago, I have lost thirty pounds, my husband has lost 20 and our daughter's "allergy induced asthma" has vanished. By the way her pediatrician is thrilled and backs our plant based whole foods diet. In addition to my excema clearing up and hormonal imbalances correcting themselves we feel great! Thanks "Forks Over Knives"! Little by little our friends and family are having to admit that we made the right choice. Some have even joined the band wagon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another great documentary is 'Vegucated', which follows three New-Yorkers who go vegan for six weeks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I don't think that one was out yet when I posted this so I'll add it in now-thank you!!

      Delete