Wednesday, August 24, 2011

More Raw Adventures & Cashew Cheese Spread

I was so excited to take my parents to Cafe Gratitude when they were out visiting me.  I had been wanting to eat their for so long.  I was drooling over their enticing raw menu online for a while before we actually went.  Their drinks alone are worth the trip there!  If you have a raw food restaurant in your area and haven't gone, I urge you to try it at least once as it certainly is a fun experience and a nice way to eat outside of the box.  The best part is when you've finished the meal, instead of feeling sluggish and bloated, you feel light and energized.  A far cry from a night at The Olive Garden (not that I'm bashing The Olive Garden, I've been on plenty of date nights there for cheaps sake).

Anyway, my dad ended up ordering "mac n cheese" which was made out of zucchini in a cashew cheese sauce.  He couldn't help but laugh while eating it because it wasn't really much like macaroni and cheese but he (and I) loved it, nonetheless.  It convinced me that I needed to get one of those handy vegetable slicers (ya know, like this one).

My mom ordered the pizza and raved about it!  Picture a sunflower & onion crust with pesto and "cheese".  So satisfying!  I decided I'll have to try to make it at home because I tried one bite and was hooked too.

I ordered the enchilada which was bursting with various flavors.  It had a lovely sprouted seed filling wrapped up in a live spinach tortilla.  Throw on some cashew sour cream and you have a winner!  Pair it with Cafe Gratitude's wheatgrass juice made with apple, ginger and lemon juice and you have one happy gal!

My kids came along too and had sushi and a ginger lemon juice drink with agave.  I think it was a bit too gingery for them but I loved it.

I can't wait to go back and dream about hiring a raw food chef to cook for me daily.  That would be bliss!  Until then, I'll have to make do with their book while pretending to know what I'm doing.
(My hubby ordered me their cookbook after I wouldn't shut up about it.)



So back to the recipes, remember that cashew cheese spread I mentioned in my previous post?  Well, here it is!  My kids love it as well as the hubby, which means most normal people will too!  (My family and I tend to be a bit persnickety when it comes to grub-at least that's what our friends say!)

Definition of persnickety: overparticular, fussy, snobbish, requiring painstaking care


Yup, that's us!


Cashew Cheese Spread/Dip
makes about 1 1/2 cups

1 1/2 C. raw cashews (soaked for at least 30 minutes and drained)
1/4 C. water
2  Tb. vinegar
1 Tb. apple cider vinegar
juice of 1 lemon
juice of 1 lime (or use two lemons if you don't have a lime)
2 Tb. nutritional yeast
1/2 tsp. salt
dash of black pepper, to taste

Throw drained cashews into food processor or blender and process with water for 30 seconds.  
Next, add the rest of the ingredients and mix until completely pureed.  Be sure to stop from time to time to scrape the sides.  

If you want the consistency creamier, add more water.  


I also made dehydrated onion crackers from Mimi Kirk's recipe.  My kids wouldn't touch it but I liked it!

As you can see, the cashew cheese spread/dip didn't last long!  






Some of you may have noticed a few changes to the VK blog.  Hope you like it!  

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing the idea there would be some apprehensions from segment but i am up for it.
    endodontist london

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you're open to it-hope it goes well and you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your blog's new look. This pic me laugh! You know, I should probably pick up that book as well lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Erica! In all seriousness though, that "Blogging for Dummies" really does have some great info. inside..haha!

    ReplyDelete