It's snack time people! Actually, isn't it always snack time? I had to brainstorm the other day because one of my kids (I won't name any names but he happens to be the one who's 5!) is becoming more and more picky by the day. He refuses to eat bananas so I've been sneaking them in any way I can, along with almond milk which he also claims to dislike. But he sucked down these simple shakes in no time flat. And the muffins went over well until he realized there was banana in the banana muffins.
These two recipes are great on their own but together-wowzas!!! Like peanut butter and jelly. I can't believe I haven't shared my favorite banana muffin recipe yet. Make a double batch because they are so moist and sweet!
As for the simple shake? It's just so refreshing and satisfying with few ingredients. Mmmm. That's all I can say really.
makes 2 large cups as shown above
1 1/2 C. almond milk
1/2 frozen banana
8 almond milk ice cubes*
4 regular ice cubes
1 Tb. brown rice syrup
1 Tb. pure maple syrup
1/2 tsp. vanilla
Add all ingredients into a blender and blend well!
(You can substitute other liquid sweeteners for the brown rice and maple syrup,
as long as it's about 2 Tb. total.)
*pour almond milk into ice cube trays and freeze to use for this recipe or any smoothies
makes 36 mini muffins or two loaf pans
1/2 C. Earth Balance or vegan butter
1/2 C. brown rice syrup (or use other liquid sweetener)
1 tsp. black strap molasses (optional-I like it for the health benefits)
2 "flax eggs" (2 Tb. ground flax seeds + 6 Tb. warm water)
2 C. all-purpose flour
1 tsp. sea salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
2-3 bananas, well mashed
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 325F.
2. In small bowl, combine flax seeds and water. Mix and let sit to firm up. In medium sized bowl, combine butter, brown rice syrup and molasses.
3. In large bowl, combine flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder.
4. Add flax seed mixture to butter mixture and combine.
5. Add wet ingredients to dry, stirring until just combined. Add in bananas and vanilla and stir again until just combined. Do not over mix.
6. Line mini muffin tin with paper liners or spray with non-stick spray. Spoon in batter 2/3 full. Bake for about 12-15 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
7. If you're making loaves, bake for 40 minutes.