Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Home-Made Ice Cream

I have never attempted to make my own ice cream before but thought, why not?  I'm not usually a fan of labor intensive recipes but this one was easier than I expected and super fun to make with my kids!

The Vegan Scoop has some amazing ice cream recipes that do not require an ice cream maker.  (I don't think I can handle many more small kitchen appliances in my cupboards anyway because I just purchased a food dehydrator...more to come on that!)

This yummy vegan ice cream recipe is adapted from Wheeler's book.  I can't wait to try more!  The whole family loved it too.


Carrot Cake Ice Cream

1/4 + 1/2 C. *date sugar (or brown sugar)
2 Tb. agave nectar (or pure maple syrup)
2 Tb. Earth Balance butter
1 C. carrots, finely shredded (I used a food processor)
1/4 + 3/4 C. hemp or almond milk (plain)
2 Tb. cornstarch (or arrowroot powder)
2 C. vanilla non-dairy creamer
1 Tb. vanilla extract
1 Tb. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg

Combine 1/4 C. date sugar, agave, & butter in small saucepan over medium heat.  Stir until melted.  Reduce heat to low and stir in shredded carrots.  Stir & cook for about 5 more minutes and set aside.

Whisk together 1/4 hemp or almond milk with arrowroot or cornstarch in small bowl.  Set aside.

In medium saucepan, combine remaining 3/4 C. hemp/almond milk, creamer, and remaining 1/2 C. date sugar or brown sugar.  Cook over medium heat until it just begins to boil, whisking occasionally.  

When it reaches the soft boiling point (small bubbles start to appear), remove from heat and whisk in hemp/almond milk & arrowroot/cornstarch mixture.  Whisk until the mixture thickens a bit.  

Whisk in vanilla & spices.  

Pour into medium bowl and stir in carrot mixture.  

Let it sit at room temperature for 10 minutes, then refrigerate for 3 hours or so.  Give it another stir, then pour into smaller or individual containers to freeze, turning and stirring every once in a while to keep it soft.  Once it's firmed up, it's ready to eat!

NOTE: it won't be the exact texture as traditional ice cream, but I had no complaints from this household!

*I finally bought some date sugar at Whole Foods after reading about the benefits of it. What a great replacement to sugar!  It is loaded with vitamins & minerals.  It even has more potassium than bananas! 

1 comment:

  1. wow, doesn't seem like those ingredients would make an ice cream but I may have to try it out....we make ice cream using bananas, agave and vanilla...I actually have a post I am writing about it for later this month!!! :)

    ReplyDelete